YOU CAN VOTE Campus Internships Available
You Can Vote is a special project of The People’s Alliance Fund, a 501c3 with a long history of promoting civic engagement and developing state and local leadership. The You Can Vote program trains and mobilizes volunteers to educate and register all North Carolina citizens to be able to cast their ballot. You Can Vote works exclusively on ensuring that anyone who is eligible to vote is properly registered and educated about voting rules so they can vote.
You Can Vote seeks an energetic and motivated intern to facilitate non-partisan voter education and registration. Our program seeks to develop volunteers into leaders and has a track record of success of doing just that.
Interns will work under the supervision and mentorship of our experienced leadership, expert organizers who will ensure interns have the training and support they need to be successful in setting and achieving goals for on-campus and off-campus work.
Interns will work closely with leaders and assist in developing voter registration and education plans. This involves:
- Identifying on-campus sites and events for including, volunteer recruitment, trainings, and voter education events, and coordinating with sites / event organizers on event logistics, such as timing, use of facilities, placement of volunteers, etc.;
- Promoting events by contacting volunteers by phone, email, and social media to encourage them to sign up for events and to answer questions about events and YCV practices;
- Leading or ensuring another YCV captain can lead on-campus events;
- Working alongside new volunteers to coach them;
- Coordinating with YCV’s Materials and Logistics Coordinator(s) to assure there are sufficient materials for events;
- Communicating with leaders to report and resolve any issues or problems before, during, or after events;
- A special project developed based on interns unique skills and learning interests.
Interns may also participate in off-campus YCV events. Extensive off-campus travel is not required, but interns must be able to pick up and drop off materials from a nearby Materials and Logistics Coordinators.
Skills and Experience
YCV is looking for self-starters, willing to work with a wide variety of volunteers and volunteer leaders. All You Can Vote Campus Interns must remain 100% non-partisan while conducting YCV work, and must be willing to learn and comply with all voter registration laws.
We are especially interested in candidates whose qualities include:
- Deep interest in social, economic and political justice in North Carolina
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and exercise good judgment
- Dual language skills a plus, especially Spanish
- Desire to help build a sustaining non-partisan campaign for long-term civic involvement.
Hours are flexible, but we are looking for an average commitment of 10 hours a week People of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
Please email your resume and cover letter, with the title “YCV INTERN APPLICATION” to Kate@youcanvote.org