YOU CAN VOTE seeks Regional Organizing Director
You Can Vote (YCV) promotes civic engagement on all levels while developing state and local leaders. YCV trains and mobilizes volunteers to educate, register and empower all North Carolina citizens to be able to cast their ballot.
You Can Vote seeks a full time Regional Organizing Director based out of Wake, Johnston, Harnett or Cumberland county. Candidates must have at least five years of successful experience in administration/management, community, issue, labor, or political organizing. Must have demonstrated record of outstanding organizational and communication skills and have meticulous attention to detail. Candidates must work well in a team and independently, and have experience building and managing effective teams. The position requires volunteer recruitment, training and management, reliable transportation, a commitment to non-partisan engagement with the public, and a willingness to work evening and weekend hours.
The Regional Director oversees the recruitment, training and management of You Can Vote (YCV) volunteers to educate, register and empower eligible voters to navigate the current voting rules and cast their ballot. Candidates must have the skill set to successfully:
- Manage, develop and coordinate local YCV volunteer leadership teams;
- Work with YCV Director to plan and execute volunteer recruitment, training, and voter education and registration events at various sites in the community. This can involve coordination with a point person at the site and may include mailing/presenting information on the program’s non-profit status, agreements on timing and use of the facility, negotiation on timing and placement of YCV volunteers.
- Coordination with communications team on timing and content of email and social media communications to volunteers;
- Promote trainings and registration/education events by contacting volunteers to encourage them to sign up and to answer questions;
- Ensure every education/registration event has a trained Captain;
- Notify YCV Director about volunteers who may need to be removed or volunteers who Captains recommend for advancement;
- Communicate to Captains any issues with event locations/partners;
- Serve as event Captain to work with new volunteers and new Captains to train and mentor them;
- Respond to requests for information, notify YCV Director as appropriate, and direct new volunteers to sign up;
- Represent the organization's values while working in the community and follow all best practice guidelines and quality control procedures;
- Ensure integrity of YCV’s communication with voters and volunteers;
- Record and report feedback from community sites, voters and volunteers and recommend procedures for improvement;
- Ensure organization's local goals are achieved and that all quality control procedures are followed;
- Ensure all volunteers and captains remain 100% non-partisan while representing YCV;
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience
The Regional Director needs to be a self-starter, willing to work with a wide variety of volunteers and in a wide range of community settings. Must be comfortable working with databases and be willing to learn new technology. The successful candidate needs patience and a sense of humor, a sharp eye for detail and careful follow-up. YCV is looking for a team player who is passionate about building a non-partisan campaign for long-term civic involvement.
The ideal candidates will show:
- Deep interest in social, economic and political justice in North Carolina
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and exercise good judgment
- Demonstrated record of training and mentoring of people
- Dual language skills a plus, especially Spanish
People of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or disability. You will work with experienced volunteers and community organizers in a rapidly growing organization with a track-record of success in educating and mobilizing volunteers and voters.
This is a full time, salaried position with heath, dental and vision benefits. Please email your resume and cover letter, with the title “REGIONAL DIRECTOR APPLICATION” to Kate@youcanvote.org.